Your Passion Is Your Purpose
How many of you feel as though you are on autopilot? Navigating the sea’s of life with your eyes half-open. Sure, you are still living life, but you are living it mindlessly.
You are not alone. A great majority of people are living this way.
We often go through life choosing the path of least resistance. Life is hard, and the proper tools are essential to living out your purpose, but you have to determine what your purpose is before anything else.
How To Define Your Purpose?
Wooah. The question alone is daunting, isn’t it? It doesn’t have to be. Let’s change the way you think about it… the way you perceive this question.
I am going to tell you something that is going to make finding your purpose much easier. Are you ready for it??
— YOUR PASSION IS YOUR PURPOSE —
Mind-blowing, right? And mind-blowingly simple. With this knowledge in hand, you can start taking steps in the right direction to pursue your passions. It is time to step out of the “rat race” and begin doing the things you love. Thereby doing something amazing for you which creates a ripple… changing the landscape before you.
Your “purpose” is whatever you are passionate about so let’s dive in and determine what those passions are.
What Are Your Passions
Find a nice spot where you can really sit and brainstorm. Ask yourself questions such as “What am I good at? – What do I enjoy doing? – What can’t I get enough of? How can I use my skill-set to make a difference in the lives of others? What can I do to make a difference in my immediate world and the world on a larger scale?”
It should be fairly easy to determine what you are passionate about. Don’t leave anything out, especially the things you love to do while recreating. Think outside the box and understand that possibilities are endless.
As an example, I will list the things I am passionate about. Hopefully, my list will help you to understand exactly what I mean, and help you go wild with your own list.
Let’s begin and keep it very basic.
My passions include, but not limited to…
- Helping Others- I truly enjoy helping others in whatever capacity that can be. Sometimes it is as simple as a smile and a kind “hello”.
- Exercise- This one is a no-brainer. Exercising improves your mood, increases your “feel good” chemicals, and trains you to handle the side-swipes of life.
- Learning- Education doesn’t always need to be from a University. However, learning is a must for your brain health.
- Writing- Obvious much?
- Blogging- My love affair with words.
- Hiking- Either outside or on my treadmill, hiking is my form of meditation.
- Cycling- Best for the days I want to sight-see.
- Running & Walking– Another time to meditate and focus on my Grattitude Attitude.
- Organization & Cleaning- These activities are cathartic for me, and deeply satisfying when I am not burnt out on life.
- Inspiring & Helping others- In any way I can.
- Mentorship– Helping others who are “newer than me” to this blogging world.
Oh yea, my fav…
- Space? Yep, like Einstein, physics, and Astronomy.
Check out this post where I incorporate space into an inspiring message for everyone to benefit from. – The Pale Blue Dot – A Snapshot Of Our Miracle
As you can see, your passions can come from anywhere. Discover them.
Your passions will guide you to the life you should be living.
Don’t Over-Think It
Don’t spend a huge amount of time trying to determine what your passions are. Go with how the activity makes you feel, and your initial gut reaction. Does it excite you? Does it give you butterflies, and make you giddy. Perhaps it gives you a feeling of immense satisfaction. You don’t want to get hung up on this step in the process but rather go with the flow and the direction it takes you.
You don’t need to overthink it. The purpose of this step is to identify the things you love to do. Go with the flow and write down each and every thing, you can edit it down further, but the let the creative juices flow for now and leave nothing out.
I Know My Purpose & Passion, Now What?
What do you do now that you have an idea of the things that you are passionate about? Welcome to this amazing stage. I found it enlightening, and the possibilities limitless! If you are anything like me, perhaps you are a bit nervous. Or maybe you feel overwhelmed.
Take a deep breath in and then out, all the while you count to 8. As you exhale, imagine all the negative self-limiting energy leaving you.
Determine where you are in your life. Do you have grown children, or are they still in school? Are you ready to make a career change or are you forcing a change? What story are you identifying with?
Start Setting Small Goals
Now that you have identified the things you are passionate about, it is time to think outside the box. You need to daydream and imagine the different ways you can make a difference in the world around you by living out your purpose, your passions.
It can easily become overwhelming. Prevent this by making small, well-defined goals.
You can’t write the final chapter in the book of your life, you have to build up to that last chapter. Steps need to be taken to ensure you can write an entire book, let alone the final chapter.
Your goals need to be set up in such a way that each small goal is adding a piece to the overall puzzle! One step will not lead to the final outcome, but a series of steps will certainly lead there. Don’t get discouraged!
- Define your goals clearly.
- Share your goals with someone you trust for accountability.
- Write down your goals and create a dream sheet.
- Create an action plan including the steps you need to take to reach the particular goal.
- Do not give up on yourself!
- Celebrate small victories! We often overlook this, yet it is crazy important. It’s not only about the end goal.
- Don’t forget to look up. Tunnel vision coupled with a busy life is the culprit of a life lived mindlessly.
- When you fail, which you will at some point, remind yourself that you just learned one way that doesn’t work. Now look for what does.
Questions To Guide You
- How can I help the lives of others with my skill-set?
- What difference can I make in the lives of others, right now?
- Which passions will bring the most joy and kindness to others?
Don’t Give Up On Your Dreams
When we are young, we have many dreams. Over time, however, we often lose sight of what those dreams were in the first place. Life has a way of pummeling the dreams right out of you. If you have lived with depression, I am sure you understand exactly as I mean.
It sucks, but for some people, this is a reality. I found this to be the case with myself. As far back as I can remember, I have had a melancholy all my own. This depressed state I call my life has had its ugly fingers in every aspect of my life and it wasn’t until recently that I understood that it is normal… for me.
Once I analyzed what “depression” means for me, and once I separated it from my beliefs (truth and belief don’t always line up), I began to understand. Nothing is wrong with me, I just happen to “feel” things on a different level. Now that I “get it”, the weight of depression lifted. It is normal for me. I am no longer a round peg trying to fit in a square.
By changing my story this way, I was able to bring back “dreaming”. Depression wasn’t stealing the happiness from me, it was stealing my time. Now, I am no longer allowing it to take anything from me. This newfound understanding increased my gratitude and brought my “dreams” into view once again.
I can see hope again!
If there is one piece of advice I can give you, it is this… never give up on yourself. EVER. You deserve certain things, like loving who you are and holding to your dreams.
Make your life the one that you want and all else falls into place.
Coming Full Circle: Your passion is your purpose
Make a dream board. It doesn’t have to be fancy and in fact, it can be very simple. The point is to allow yourself to dream again, the way you did in grade 4, or grade 10.
Pick out the type of house you want one day, the “dream” job, your dream car. Allow your mind to explore healthy day dreaming. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant. This will help you to look at the healthy daydreams that can lead to small goals… that can one day lead to you walking through the door of your dream house.
Just don’t give up on who you are… know that you can be both a masterpiece and a work in progress. Know the self-limiting beliefs that hold you back, and realize the miracle of YOU… the extraordinary improbable life we are all blessed to have!
Don’t miss out and subscribe now to get inspiration directly to your inbox!